Window and Door May 2012 : Page 46

³ THE PERFORMANCE ISSUE— FTC Action Will Impact Window Marketing from 30 percent to 50 percent on their heating and cooling bills. The complaints are part of a larger FTC initiative to ensure that environmental marketing is based on scientific evidence and is not misleading for consumers. “The FTC is committed to making sure that the information consumers get I accurate and that marketers can back up the claims they make,” said David Vladeck, director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection, at the time of the settlement. The settlements were years in the making, as the marketing claims were under FTC investigation at the state and federal levels for several years. In fact, one of the companies involved with the settlement, Winchester Industries, discontinued its standardized pledges several years before the FTC ruling while the investigation was taking place, even though company officials were confident in the performance of their energy efficient products. “In 2010, when Winchester determined such standardized pledges could not always take into account individual home characteristics, it unilaterally and voluntarily discontinued offering such pledges,” said Michael Segrue, vice president, in a company-issued statement. FTC FALL-OUT The FTC settlement reaches far beyond the companies that were directly involved. A recent WDweekly survey of readers showed that nearly 60 percent of respondents were confident that their companies’ marketing and advertising claims related to energy savings would escape FTC scrutiny. But that leaves about 40 percent of industry participants who expressed the need to take some claims under consideration and perhaps make changes in order to be more transparent and clear. Many industry executives believe the ruling will make most manufacturers and dealers think twice before promising consumers specific energy savings as a result of window replacement. “It is nearly impossible for a window company to know what type of energy savings can be calculated for any given home,” says Greg Irving of Soft-Lite Windows. “The existing conditions vary from structure to structure.” Given that, window companies may have to step lightly about how they characterize energy savings promises. “I believe that dealers have learned a lesson and, moving forward, will mention that high-performance windows will help tremendously with home energy savings, but will also add that their experience will be specific to their home,” Irving adds. SafeGard ™ Window Opening Control Device (WOCD) Peace Of Mind... Safety and security are of utmost importance for homeowners, especially those with small children. Truth Hardware has developed an engineered solution which meets ASTM F2090-10, the new industry guideline enacted to address the issues of accidental falls and egress opening. SafeGard ™ meets the following ASTM F2090-10 guidelines: UÊ 7ˆ˜`œÜÊ"«i˜ˆ˜}Ê&#0a;œ˜ÌÀœÊ&#0c;iۈViʏˆ“ˆÌÃÊV>Ãi“i˜ÌÊÃ>Åʜ«i˜ˆ˜}Ê̜Ê{¸ÊœÀʏiÃà UÊ &#0d;>ÃÞÊÌܜ‡ÃÌi«Êœ«iÀ>̈œ˜Ê̜ÊÀii>ÃiÊ7ˆ˜`œÜÊ"«i˜ˆ˜}Ê&#0a;œ˜ÌÀœÊ&#0c;iۈVi UÊ 7ˆ˜`œÜÊ"«i˜ˆ˜}Ê&#0a;œ˜ÌÀœÊ&#0c;iۈViÊ>Õ̜“>̈V>ÞÊÀi>ÌÌ>V…iÃʈÌÃivÊ܅i˜Ê̅iÊ܈˜`œÜʈÃÊVœÃi` Window Opening Control Device (WOCD) Scan this QR code with your smart phone to see SafeGard ™ in action! ÇääÊ7iÃÌÊ Àˆ`}iÊ-ÌÀiiÌÊUÊ"Ü>̜˜˜>]Ê&#1f; ÊxxäÈä £‡nää‡nÈȇÇnn{ÊUÊÜÜÜ°ÌÀÕ̅°Vœ“ Truth Hardware -The Industry’s Leading Engineered Solutions Provider. 46 | Window & Door | May 2012

Truth Hardware

Using a screen reader? Click Here